Hamas, PIJ chiefs hold talks on Operation al-Aqsa Flood


The leaders of the Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad movements, Ismail Haniyeh and Ziyad al-Nakhalah held talks on Friday regarding the October 7 operation.

  • Palestinian women, one holding a picture of Hamas movement chief Ismail Haniyeh, attend a mass rally marking the 32nd anniversary of the founding of Hamas in Gaza, December 14, 2019, in Gaza City (AP)

Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh and Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) movement leader Ziyad al-Nakhalah held talks on Friday to discuss Operation al-Aqsa Flood, the former’s office said in a statement.

The office said Haniyeh and al-Nakhalah talked about Operation al-Aqsa Flood and discussed the field and political developments taking place in the Palestinian arena, reviewing the latest developments in occupied Palestine.

Consultations were held on the ongoing initiatives to end the aggression on Gaza and it was stressed that the mulling of the new ceasefire proposal was based on the fact that any negotiations must lead to a complete end to the aggression.

The two leaders underlined that the remainder of the conditions included the withdrawal of the Israeli occupation forces from the Gaza Strip, lifting the siege in place on Gaza since 2007, reconstruction, the entry of all the necessities of life for our people, and the completion of a comprehensive exchange deal.

Moreover, they stressed that the resistance factions would always serve the interests of the Palestinian people and their safety and security.

Haniyeh is scheduled to visit Cairo for discussions on a new ceasefire proposal, while the Israeli occupation continues its aggression against the besieged Gaza Strip.

Regarding the escalations and massacres, including the renewed aggression in the northern Gaza Strip, the leader reaffirmed the international community must live up to its obligations by pressuring the occupation to stop its massacres and crimes.

No agreement reached

A leading figure from the Palestinian Resistance factions revealed Thursday that no agreement around a ceasefire deal has been reached yet.

The remarks come after news outlets reported that Hamas had approved in principle the most recent ceasefire proposal made by Qatari officials. The official described the statement made by the Qatari Foreign Ministry as rushed and inaccurate.

The official explained that the party he represents had “received a message from the Hamas leadership regarding the framework paper that was presented based on the Paris meeting.”

It is worth noting that the meeting came up with a momentary ceasefire proposal, which included a three-stage prisoner exchange deal. The meeting was attended by William Burns, the Central Intelligence Agency director, and top Egyptian, Israeli, and Qatari officials.

Read more: What does the Paris document entail?

The leading figure said, “There is no agreement on the framework yet, and Hamas has important remarks (regarding the proposal).”

Hamas officials had announced earlier that its representatives would submit a unified response in Cario, Egypt that represents all Palestinian Resistance factions.

“The priority will be for a comprehensive cessation of aggression, a complete withdrawal of occupation forces from Gaza, securing shelters for the displaced, and completing a serious exchange process,” the official explained.

He further stressed that “Zionist media outlets are dissipating fabricated and false news to stir up public opinion about the negotiations.”

Finally, the official said Egypt and Qatar have unified mediation efforts.

Meanwhile, the media advisor to the head of the Hamas political bureau told Reuters that the group received the Paris truce proposal for a ceasefire and release of hostages in Gaza, but “we haven’t given a response to the Gaza truce proposal,” adding, “It is still being studied.”



Source link

Latest articles

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img