Hamas is re-deploying where Israelis have withdrawn, pays salaries: AP


Four residents of Gaza City informed The Associated Press that police had been stationed recently close to government buildings and police headquarters.

  • An older photo of Palestinian police members in Northern Gaza following the withdrawal of Israeli forces from some occupied areas

Citing four residents and a senior Hamas official, the Associated Press reported that the Palestinian civilian administration has started to resurface in areas where the Israelis withdrew the majority of their forces a month ago, deploying police officers and paying salaries to some of its civil servants in Gaza City.

This is a sign of the resistance group’s resilience in the face of the Israeli ruthless air and ground campaign over the past four months.

Four residents of Gaza City informed The Associated Press that police had been stationed recently close to government buildings and police headquarters, including the largest hospital in Gaza, Shifa Hospital. The locals reported witnessing more Israeli airstrikes close to the temporary offices.

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, a Hamas official allegedly told the AP that the return of the police signifies an effort to restore order in the shattered city.

According to the official, the leaders of the group were instructed to restore law and order in areas of the north where Israeli soldiers had withdrawn. This included assisting in preventing the looting of stores and homes left vacant by citizens who had followed Israeli evacuation orders and moved to the southern portion of Gaza.

Israelis war-mongering north

The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) on Saturday threatened the resistance in Lebanon that it will be compelled “to attack immediately” should it be “provoked.”

“We do not choose war as our first priority, but we are certainly prepared,” IOF spokesperson Daniel Hagari said, adding: “We will continue to act wherever Hezbollah is present, we will continue to act wherever it is required in the Middle East. What is true for Lebanon is true for Syria and other more distant places.”

The statement echoes earlier threats issued by Security Minister Yoav Gallant, which asserted that a ceasefire in Gaza does not imply that “Israel” would cease its aggression on Lebanon.

Read more: Hezbollah targets several Israeli military sites, settlements

This further comes against a backdrop of a ceasefire proposal currently under evaluation by the Palestinian resistance to assess the fairness and practicality of the deal. 

While the proposal could bring about a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, concerns persist regarding the possible continuation of conflicts that spilled elsewhere across the region.

The genocide in Gaza has already resulted in unparalleled levels of destruction, displacing nearly 85% of the population. Adding to this issue is the weaponizing of food by Israelis in an effort to exterminate Gazan civilians, leaving almost a quarter of the population currently grappling with starvation.

The Health Ministry in Gaza has recently reported that 107 people were martyred within a mere 24 hours, elevating the death toll to a staggering 27,238. Concurrently, the number of injured has risen to 66,000.

Read more: Netanyahu fires back at Ben-Gvir’s remarks on insufficient US support

There is a possibility that the IOF might expand its aggression further to the south, in the Rafah region, once its operations in Khan Younis are completed, as per an announcement issued by the Security Ministry earlier this week. If “Israel” does engage in this endeavor, it could potentially harm its relations with neighboring Egypt, as the latter would consider it a breach of Egyptian sovereignty.

This could also further strain “Israel’s” relations with the US, as the regime’s actions are explicitly genocidal in nature. This element could further tarnish the already damaged reputation of US diplomacy.



Source link

Latest articles

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img